The Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair – Best Hair Straightener For Curly Hair – Best Straightener For Frizzy And Curly Hair Review 2020
Are you looking for the best flat iron for curly hair?
Curly hair is considered one of the most beautiful and elegant, yet provocative and classy traits out there. We do not think anyone would dare to argue with that. Thus, if you do have curly hair, do not be shy to hide it away; instead, be proud and show it to the world.
Having said that, maintaining those curls can be a hassle sometimes. And this leads us to the topic of discussion today. We want to help you reduce the time and effort you put in preserving that unique feature of yours.
The world of flat irons is filled with many different products, and more often than not, in many different names as well, from best hair straightener for curly hair to best straightener for frizzy hair. Picking one would be quite a task. So, to save you from the digging in the mess, our expert team has compiled a list of these top-rated appliances and a detailed buying guide for you.
Hopefully, by the end of this article, you will be able to take care of your mane better and select the best flat iron for curly hair.
Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
- Conair Infiniti Pro 2″ tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- Remington S7330 Wet2Straight Hair Straightener
- Infinitipro By Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- Hsi Professional Glider
- Chi Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- Furiden Professional Hair Straightener, Flat Iron for Hair Styling: 2 in 1
- Maxius Maxiglide RP Hair Straightener
- Maxius Maxiglide XP Hair Straightener
- Elchim 1″ Natures Touch Iron
- Solano Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron
#Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
Top 10 The Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
1. Conair Infiniti Pro 2″ tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Conair is the most unanimous brand out there when it comes to beauty products, especially in the hair straightener world. In fact, the Conair Infiniti Pro is the best flat iron for curly hair that you can get your hands on right now.
This tourmaline ceramic flat iron features 5 heat settings and 2-inch floating plates for superior result. With such big plates, you will have an easier time working on large hair sections. Furthermore, with the advanced ceramic technology, the straightener can evenly heat up to 455 degrees Fahrenheit without any hot spot, making it ideal for all kinds of hair types. Whether you want to straighten or add volume and flip your hair, you are guaranteed to have less frizz and more shine. Capable of heating up in just 15 seconds, this true ceramic heater ensures high and even heat for a long lasting style.
In addition, this best flat iron for curly hair’s handle provides a tight and firm grip while remaining cool even when operating at maximum temperature. If you have not had any experience in working with a flat iron before, the cord of the Infiniti Pro might get tangled in the first few times. However, that should not be a big reason for not trying this reliable hair-curling appliance.
- Floating plate design
- Tourmaline Ceramic technology reduces frizz, and protects your hair
- Extra-smooth surface for fast glide
- Long-lasting humidity protection
- High heat of up to 455 degrees F
- 15-second heat up time
2. Remington S7330 Wet2Straight Hair Straightener
This best flat iron for curl hair from Remington promises optimal results even when your hair is dripping wet.
Coming in at 1 ¾ inch plate, the best flat iron for curly hair works flawlessly to remove humidity from your hair as you move it down the mane, speeding up the styling process up to 3 times faster compared to other average units. Having said that, do not worry, as your hair will be protected from any sort of damage. In addition, the flat iron is still perfect for dry hair but do check for the correct indicator when you do so.
The best hair straightener for curly hair best hair can achieve maximum heat of 420 degrees Fahrenheit and offers up to 30 different thermal settings. Not only that, it only takes about 30 seconds to reach the desired temperature thanks to the titanium-coated ceramic plates, which may we add, further increases the overall durability of the flat iron.
Moreover, the unit features an automatic shut off function for those times when you forget to turn it off. However, it does take some time for the straightener to cool down so pay attention to where you place the product. Nevertheless, just that minor issue might not let you down compared to other advantages of this best flat iron for curly hair.
Straighten and dry in 1 step
- Uniquely designed steam vents
- Titanium-coated ceramic plates
- Automatic shutoff
- 30 levels of heat settings
3. Infinitipro By Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Being popular as Conair is, it is no surprise that another best straightener for frizzy hair appears on our list. Unlike the first one, this INFINITIPRO, the best flat iron for curly hair from Conair, only features 1-inch plates but instead, offers up to 30 temperature settings. Together with the advanced ceramic technology, the flat iron can provide a maximum heat of 455 degrees Fahrenheit without hot spots.
Additionally, with the extra-long floating plate design and tourmaline ceramic material, you will be able to style more quickly without sacrificing the health of your mane.
The InfinitiPRO 1-in Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron guarantees shiny smooth results and straightens even the most frustrating hair that you might have. Also, with the anti-frizz protection technology, you are bound to have healthy looking hair. With these outstanding features, no doubt this product is the best flat iron for curly hair.
- Highest ceramic heat of 455 degrees F
- Tourmaline Ceramic technology reduces frizz and flyaway
- True ceramic heater with 15-second heat-up
- Long floating plates
- Auto-off function
4. HSI Professional Glider
Considered the best flat iron for curly hair from HSI Professional, the Glider model is designed with floating plates that suit any curls. The straightener will automatically adjust to the type and thickness of your hair, creating spectacular results on even the frizziest, coarsest hair.
In addition, the round design of the iron will allow you to quickly straighten, flip, and curl with minimal effort. As a result, you can experiment more with any type of curling style. The plates of the unit are a combination of ceramic and tourmaline, with 8 HeatBalance micro-sensors that regulate and distribute the temperature evenly. These features help minimize the damage to your hair and keep the number of passes needed on your mane. The manufacturer even includes in the set a conditioner, further promoting healthy hair styling.
While you can adjust the temperature with a dial, the flat iron only shows the highest and lowest settings available, which are 410 and 140 degrees F, respectively. Thus, it will take you a bit of trials and errors to find your desired heat. However, the effort will be well-worth in the end.
Finally, if you are to type to travel a lot, you will be happy to know that this best flat iron for curly hair also features dual voltage.
- Wide temperature range of 140 to 410 degrees F
- 360-degree swivel cord
- Includes additional accessories such as a heat-resistant glove, travel-size argan oil hair treatment, and a silk case
- 8 HeatBalance micro-sensors
5. CHI Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
CHI Expert is one of the most popular flat iron brands on the market currently and their Classic Tourmaline Ceramic series only adds more to that credibility. Truly worthy of the rank “best flat iron for curly hair”, the Classic Tourmaline Ceramic from CHI Expert is not only sleek and compact but also features amazing functions as well as performance.
The tourmaline ceramic construction of the plates can help you delicately curl your hair without the fear of damage it. The straightener heats up evenly and will bring out the best of whatever hair style you want to follow.
In addition, with the infrared emission technology, this best flat iron for curly hair can make your straightening process much more precise and faster. Not only does the technology help the heat penetrate the hair shaft easily, but it also straightens the tresses from the inside for a speedier result.
Furthermore, CHI has gone forth with the 1-inch floating plate design with beveled edges, meaning you will have better grip and control over the styling process while at the same time, not putting your hair stands under too much pressure and heat.
Finally, with multiple heat levels, ranging from 180 to 450 degrees F, you will have an easier time adjusting to the desirable temperature settings without any difficulties.
- Ergonomic design with strong and non-slip grip
- 1-hour auto shutoff feature
- Includes a heat resistant mat
- 9-foot long swivel cord
- 2 years of limited warranty
6. Furiden Professional Hair Straightener, Flat Iron for Hair Styling: 2 in 1
Furiden is the brand to trust when it comes to personal care routine. From styling to shaving and glooming, they have all the tools you need to up your beauty game and fabulous looks. And that brings us to the Furiden 2-in-1 Professional Hair Straightener.
This best flat iron for curly hair from the brand is no slouch compared to any of the competitor on this list. The model features a new directional switch design where the handle can be rotated clockwise to change to the desired temperature. Thanks to the Revolutionary One Step straightener and styler, you can give your hair an ultra-smooth silky look with just a press of a button.
Introducing a new heating standard for hair appliances, known as MCH, this best flat iron for curly hair can reach maximum heat of 450 degrees F in 15 seconds. As opposed to an average hair straightener, the Furiden is more durable and saves a lot more energy, significantly reducing the styling process.
For those who travel a lot, they will appreciate the fact that best flat iron for curly hair from Furiden does come with dual voltage at 110 – 240 AC, auto-shutoff feature, and a 6-month satisfaction guarantee.
- 360-degree swivel cord
- 15-second heat time
- 5 different temperature settings, ranging from 250 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Comes with dual voltage
- Includes additional accessories such as Heat Resistant Glove, flat iron bag, salon comb and 2 salon hair clips
7. Maxius Maxiglide RP Hair Straightener
The founder of MAXIUS was (and still is) a trusted stylist for some of Hollywood’s top celebrities like Sylvester Stallone and Heather Locklear. That fact alone is enough to put your mind at ease, knowing that the Maxiglide RP Hair Straightener will not only get the job done flawlessly but it also keeps your hair safe and sound.
This best flat iron for curly hair comes with a set of two 1 ½ inch plates that is designed for all hair types. With adjustable heating between 190 and 450 degrees F, the straightener will make it easier for you to find the perfect settings for your mane. Whether your hair is delicate or thick and unruly curly, this model can be customized to suit any of your likings.
While most hair straighteners require multiple passes to style, which might damage the strands in the process, The MAXIUS RP does it with just 1 pass, keeping your hair tangle-free and healthy. In addition, the RP features SteamBurst Technology that adds hydration during the styling process, preventing any danger related to dryness or breakage.
Furthermore, with the protective ridges, you can come even closer to your scalp without the fear of getting burned. Last but not least, this best flat iron for curly hair from MAXIUS includes a 90-day hassle-free return if you end up not liking the product, which by the way, will not be likely to happen.
- Controlled steam burst technology with separate water tank for additional hydration
- Protective styling ridges
- Retractable detangling pins
- LED temperature display
- 60-minute auto shutoff
8. Maxius Maxiglide XP Hair Straightener
Similar to the RP model above, the Maxiglide XP is the second best flat iron for curly hair from the brand MAXIUS. With the patented ceramic detangling pins, your hair will remain safe throughout the styling procedure, comparable to those services you would receive from high-quality salons. From flipping to curling, you can do anything with the Maxiglide XP within the comfort of your own home.
Even when your hair is the thickest, curliest, and coarsest, this best flat iron for curly hair can handle it all. With the protective styling ridges, the outside heat will be reduced significantly, protecting your scalp from the risk of getting burned.
And as you would expect from a MAXIUS straightener, the Maxiglide XP also comes with controlled steamburst technology. With only one or two pumps of the steam button, you can add the right amount of hydration to your hair, keeping it soften and protected the entire time.
- Controlled steam burst technology
- Protective styling ribs
- Retractable pins button
- Digital temperature control
- Ceramic tourmaline plates
9. Elchim 1″ Natures Touch Iron
The Natures Touch Iron is the best flat iron for curly hair from Elchim. At first glance, the model looks like a professional-grade flat iron, suitable for not just at-home use but for salons as well. This unit features all that you need to protect your curls while styling as fast as possible. From the 11 different heat settings to the LED temperature display, you will always be certain of the current state.
The Natures Touch offers heat settings from 203 to 455 degrees F, with plenty of room for you to find your desirable temperature for your hair. In addition, the unit has a swivel cord that allows even more versatility and space for you to maneuver during the styling procedure.
Thanks to the titanium-oxide-coated ceramic material, the plates will distribute heat evenly and set you up for any desired curls of your choice. And this is why this product is the best flat iron for curly hair.
- 11 heat settings with LED display
- Ceramic & titanium oxide plates
- HIT (High & Instant Temperature) technology ensuring immediate and constant heat
- 50-minute auto shutoff
10. Solano Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron
Among the two high-end models on this list. The Solano Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron is an excellent choice for hair straightening tool. If you do prefer to spend a little extra, this best flat iron for curly hair is perfect for any task, from straightening curly hairs to bone straight locks. And worry not, because its price tag is fully justifiable.
To start off, the floating plates on the Solano are made of ceramic tourmaline with all around (4 sided) beveled edges, ensuring high versatility during the styling process while at the same time, maintaining smooth glide through the hair strands without snagging. The beveled edges on this best flat iron for curly hair also protect sensitive hair from breakage and wrinkles. Additionally, with the curved edges plates, not only can you straighten locks smoother, you can also create bigger curls and waves.
Temperature selection is made extremely easy thanks to the rheostat dial, which offers heat labeling at every level, starting from 170 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. There is also a bolt-shaped indicator that flashes red when the plates have reached your desired temperature, and flashes blue when they are cooling down.
With this kind of lighting indicator, you can easily tell when this best flat iron for curly hair is ready to use, eliminating any sort of guesswork and ensuring the safety of the users.
- 60-second heat up time
- 4-sided beveled plates for smooth gliding and less damage
- Includes cool touch tips for comfortable usage
- Gentler far infrared heat
- 2-year limited warranty
Buying Guide – Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
Before jumping and buying the best flat iron for curly hair, let us go through the important features of a straightener first. The followings, which can either make or break a flat iron, are the parameters that you should take into consideration.
- Plate material – one of the key things that you should consider is the plate material and its coating. While most plates are made of ceramic, more often than not, you will find the plates in the best flat iron for curly hair made of tourmaline plus ceramic. In this case, the combination is able to distribute heat more evenly and minimize the potential damage done to your follicles. In addition, there are some straighteners made of titanium which offers the best of durability, longevity, and heat up time.
- Plate size – depending on the type of hair, your choice of best flat iron for curly hair can vary a lot. For instance, for long hair, 1 ½-inch (or longer) plate diameter would be a great option, whereas, for short hair, 1-inch plates or shorter are more suitable.
- Adjustable heat – to ensure the optimal temperature for your hair, some models come with different heat settings.
- Control buttons – keep your eyes out to how the on/off switch and other control buttons are positioned. Both should be placed on the handle so you can easily reach out and adjust the flat iron. However, at the same time, they should not be situated too close to one another to avoid accidental touch.
Besides those mentioned above, you can also look into these additional features. They are nice to have and can add more to your convenience; but not having them does not mean the end of the world.
- Automatic shutdown – with this feature, if the iron is left untouched for 60 to 90 minutes, it will be automatically turned off to avoid any potential fire hazard.
- Brand – it goes without saying that a reputable and well-known brand is more likely to provide reliable products; you will be promised an original product with all the features listed in the description.
- Warranty – when you get a straightener which comes with a generous warranty, it is a clear sign that the manufacturer of the best flat iron for curly hair really put their heart into the product, and that they are willing to go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Price – perhaps this is the most important thing to some people. If their best flat iron for curly hair is out of their budget, it is automatically removed from the shopping list. At the same time, there is a need for a balanced ratio between cost and quality. In other words, the hair straightener has to offer good values for the money.
FAQs – Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
What is curly hair?
To put it simply. Curly hair is described as hair strands with flat or oval-shaped follicle that makes the tresses voluminous and bouncy; the more defined the follicle shape, the curlier your hair. In addition, those curly strands will lock your hair in place, providing character and definition for a more complete look.
Most people with curly hair get it from their genes; in fact, up to 95 percent of people with such a type of hair get it by heredity. But the question remains: How do hairs actually become curly?
The fundamental building blocks of hairs are keratin and protein. These two compounds then form disulfate bonds in the hair follicles, making them flatter and become oval-shaped. As a result, your hair turns out to be curly.
Does curly hair always mean thick hairs?
Contrary to popular belief, curly hair does not always mean thick hair. As a matter of fact, fineness, thickness. And coarseness imply different textures of hairs whereas curly, natural, and straight are just hair types. Each hair type can have any of the three textures. For instance, curly hair can have either have a fine texture or a thick texture depending on its structure.
What are the types of curly hairs?
You would be surprised to know that there are quite a few distinct sub-categories when it comes to curly hair. To determine the best flat iron for curly hair, you must first know your own hair type. You will need to understand what makes the sub-categories different from one another.
To save you some trouble, we have listed below the three popular types of curly hair:
- 3A – this type has big and loose curls that follow an S-shaped pattern. Their strands are more defined and springier, with curl as thick as a piece of sidewalk chalk.
- 3B – different from the 3A, the 3B type is coarser, and its curls are a little more tightly wounded together. Its ringlets are also wider, to a point where people would compare them to marker pens. This, in turn, makes the 3B much fuller and denser than the 3A.
- 3C – a little bit more special than the other two, the 3C type is more coil-like; to some, it is known as the corkscrew curls. These curls are tightly packed, and their circumferences can be comparable to those of pens and straws. While the 3C hairs have the most volume amongst the three, they are the finest of them all.
How to straighten curly hairs?
Without the right tools, straightening your hair can be a hassle that consumes a lot of time and energy. However. Here are a few tools and methods than can help straighten your curly mane, at least for a little while. They include the followings:
- Using a good quality flat iron
- A hair dryer brush
- Paddle hair straightening brush
- Using natural straightening masks (milk and honey mask or banana and milk mask)
Having said that, the best and most effective method to straighten your stubborn curly hair is using a flat or straightening iron. With the best flat iron for curly hair, not only can you straighten your hair quickly. But also stay worry-free knowing that your beloved tresses will not be burned because of the heating procedure.
One quick note: even though there are different types of curly hair. The flat iron manufacturers do not make straighteners tailored to each subcategories. But instead, they combine all the features that would solve most common problems experienced by people with curly hair.
What is the ideal temperature to straighten curly hair?
Believe it or not, curly hair can handle high temperature, meaning you are free to choose flat irons that do not have adjustable heat settings. However, if you can get the best flat iron for curly hair that does offer this function, it would be a welcomed feature to have. Also, since curly hair is typically very strong, you should consider getting units that can reach at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you are planning to get the best flat iron for curly hair, especially for thick ones. You should pick the one with temperature ranging from 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if your curls are not that aggressive. And they are leaning towards the fine and sensitive side, selecting a lower heat level would be more ideal.
Having said that, in order to correctly choose the right temperature for your hair. You might need to do some experiments first. Always start with the lowest setting, and then work your way up to see which temperature works best for straightening your hair.
How long does straightening usually last?
In all honesty, how long the straightening lasts depends mostly on your hair. If your curls are not that aggressive and are wavier, the effect can last for a few days. Having said that, you might have to repeat the process again after 3 to 4 days. On the other hand, if your curls are kinky and stubborn, the straightened look might fade away overnight. However, with the best flat iron for curly hair, the results can last much longer.
Conclusion – The Best Flat Iron For Curly Hair
As we have said from the beginning. Having curly hair can be a blessing and you should be proud to be born with it. Depending on the specific curls, you need to choose the right products to nurture and style your hair healthily.
When it comes to curling irons, the appliance must meet the temperature requirement. Not all curls can be tamed under average heat; some do require decently high temperature to style. Therefore, make sure that you pick the best flat iron for curly hair for yourself. The buying guides that we have prepared above should provide you with the necessary information and details to do so.
Do feel free to look at our other reviews. Hopefully, they can help you learn about many additional top-rated models and find those right ones that suit your needs. Do not rush to conclusion, but instead, take your time to read through the essential info, and thus, make a smart buying decision.